Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Big Bang Theory

If you are like me and never saw an episode of The Big Bang Theory, then you can still prepare for Friday's seminar: its official home page is
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/big_bang_theory/.
Gosh, over the weekend, I watched the full episode 1, but it seems to have been removed! The best you can do now is watch some clips.
Warning! They force you to watch a commercial first! The one entitled "Behind the Scenes" tells just about all you need to know: Four nerdy geniuses (but mainly two) from Caltech encounter a beautiful, social, sexy dumb blonde. Based on the one episode I saw, it's a really dumb show, despite the authentic equations and occasional scientific allusions that probably go over the top of the viewers. Everything I saw was stereotypical.

Would any kid watching this ever want to become a scientist?
The show probably does more harm than good.

Of course, you can try the source of all knowledge:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bang_Theory_%28TV_series%29
Interesting that the wiki writer claims "
Almost all the equations on Leonard and Sheldon's boards are not real mathematical equations, as most of them are too simple and make no real physical sense." The few I saw briefly looked ok, so we can ask David Saltzberg about this.

-Marty
P.S. Looks as if there are episodes online elsewhere, but I haven't watched them:
http://video.aol.com/video-category/full-episodes/111483 has four.
This page seems to provide links to all of them:
http://www.stashy.com/videos/user/tv-shows/The+Big+Bang+Theory/.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Real nerds would rather watch SciFi...

After attending the Friday afternoon seminar about this nerd-based television sitcom, I decided I had to watch it. I convinced my husband (Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science) that we should tape it to watch before bed. He - a true nerd, who would much rather watch SciFi- reluctantly agreed to try it out. Well, he fell asleep within the first five minutes! I tried again the following week; this time, he fell asleep in three minutes.
After my second viewing of this show, I concur with the behavior of my lovable nerd husband: the show is not even funny after a while, even if they do use equations correctly. I don't think a show like this does anything to help the cause of physics or physics education.
As for me - I'm waiting for the new season of Battle Star Galactica!